Friday, January 20, 2012

25 questions and research question

Research question:

How can I take the principles and techniques of the classical British essay and incorporate them into my own writing? 

Notes: 

My project will be two fold: reading classical essays and writing in the style of classical essays. Obviously, it will entail a few more details than that, but to put it simplistically, that's it. As far as reading goes, I will study some essayists more intensively, like Charles Lamb, William Hazlitt, Virginia Woolf, Alexander Smith, Robert Louis Stevenson, Alice Meynell, Vernon Lee, etc., then I will read other essays that pertain directly to London as a place. I will study the authors and their essays in context by examining how they intersected with London, and with that, I will look at how they crafted their essays. Etc. 



1) What are the specific dates for the program? (beginning and ending)
2) When paying tuition, will we be paying for both Spring and Summer terms separately or will it be the equivalent of a regular semester where it's all taken out at once?
3) Can our group have a regular schedule for seeing musicals and other plays together?
4) How much time will we be spending with our group members?
5) Can we occasionally tag along with each other to learn more about other group members' projects?
6) I'm a little confused because I've heard both yes and no to this question: are we actually finding our own housing or are the facilitators in charge of that?
7) How do we start the process of getting a library card to the British Library?
8) Because my project is studying essayists and writing in their style, there are a few Scottish essayists it would be a shame not to research. How plausible would it be to spend a week or two in Scotland studying the Scottish essayists? (I know that outside traveling is a no, but if it will pertain directly to my project, would it be possible?) One more note on this: if this would be possible, it might be optimal to schedule this week during the busy times around the Olympic games.
9) How much should I pack?
10) What if my host family are completely psychotic?
11) Will I eat meals with my host family?
12) If so, is it typically three meals a day or would I be responsible for one or more meals on my own?
13) Or, are the meals dependent on the specific host family that I stay with?
14) How do host families typically react to BYU students?
15) Are most host families familiar with the LDS church?
16) How do you approach the subject of the church with a host family?
17) Is it possible that we would be living with one of our group members with the same host family?
18) Will we be able to attend an event in the Olympic games?
19) When I was on my study abroad, the ward members in the branch that I attended seemed to be a little hesitant to welcome us because they knew we would be leaving soon anyway. Is this typical for students to see this or was my experience unique?
20) If I find my project taking a different turn than I expected (as far as writing, or essayists I'm studying), how much autonomy do I have to revise my project in the field?
21) Where could I find examples of syllabi that other field study students have done to organize their projects into a specific schedule?
22) About how many hours a day is it typical to be working on my project?
23) After completing my planned activities and research for the day, do I have liberty to participate in whatever activities I choose? (such as sporting events, museum/show going, etc.)
24) How much time do you typically spend with your host family? 
25) Is there a list of London's literary museums I could take a gander at? 

No comments:

Post a Comment