Tuesday, January 17, 2012

learning journal 2: culture in photographs

If anyone would be guilty of romanticizing London, it would be me. But I'm a writer, so I'm allowed my fair share of sentimentalism, right? (:

In all seriousness, I know every city has its light and its dark, and London is not exempt from its fair share of trash. Nevertheless, I love London's culture. So this week I'm giving a tribute in photographs, while I point out different aspects of London culture that my section discussed:


One thing we discussed in class was the blend of old and new that London does so fantastically well. The London skyline is decorated with architecture hundreds of years old side by side with modern architecture, and the two styles seem to coexist peacefully


This is a good example of blending architectural styles--St Paul's cathedral, the lovely landmark pictured here, is visible from the Millenium footbridge, which is a more modern addition


Not much to say, I just love this one. There are so many facets of this city, from the Tube to the buses and busy streets and bridges. The bridges are fantastic


Ah look! Here's St Paul's again, with the British flag and a double-decker bus. Three big London hits in one photo. Really, though, I felt like this was a good example of the narrow streets and close quarters. There's the bus, and look how close the buildings are to it! and then the people... yes, oh yes. London is a busy place


What would London be like without the Globe? One thing this exemplifies is the respect that Londoners have for their history. This, of course, isn't the original Globe, but a beautifully reconstructed theatre takes its place as actors take the stage to perform Shakespeare's brilliant plays


This is one of my favorite sculptures/chandeliers in London (@ the Victoria and Albert museum). It's also another example of the fantastically blended modern art with the more classical architecture. Random note: the man who designed this chandelier also designed one for the Abravanel Hall in SLC--theirs is red, though, not green and blue


One thing London values is ceremony. They certainly know how to march around in uniform. I think the changing of the guard is one of my favorite ceremonies, come to think of it, because it seems at first thought completely purposeless to have so much pomp related to something as small as the changing of the guard. However, their attachment to ceremony is commendable, and I can appreciate the fact that sometimes ceremony itself is purpose enough. Pictured here, though, is not the changing of the guard, but the Trooping of the Colours, which is a celebration of the Queen's birthday


Ah, yes. Here's one thing we don't have in America. A QUEEN. Yes, folks, I saw Queen Elizabeth II in her lovely lilac and fantastically flowered hat. She is beautiful, isn't she?


My last few pictures exemplify London's never-failing talent of surprising me. You never know, in London, when you're going to walk around the corner and see giant furniture made out of turf, or 


beautiful graffiti art (this picture seriously doesn't do the whole scene justice. It's astounding)


Also, on my final note, I'd like to say that London knows how to put on Macbeth. I have a jacket stained with stage blood to prove it!


No comments:

Post a Comment