Monday, March 5, 2012

annotated source 03.05

AWP (Association of Writers and Writers Programs) Conference 2012. Chicago, Illinois.
Panel: Bremer, Krista and Lee Martin, Cheryl Strayed, Stephen Elliot. "Selling Out Everyone You Love: The Ethics of Nonfiction."

I was excited that so many panels in the AWP Conference had to do with creative nonfiction, because I am going to use them as sources to help inform my project. Many of these panels were very practical, and all very helpful in one way or another in learning about creative nonfiction and the different nuances of the genre. This particular panel was applicable to what we've been talking about in class (especially with the IRB) because it dealt directly with the ethics of writing about other people, particularly people who are close to the writer. Basically, they all said that at one time or another they've had to deal with problems related to sharing information about others, but they've found a few solutions to help minimize the potential damage: humility, fairness, intention, transparency, and fearlessness. I will need to keep their counsel in mind as I write about other people, whether or not I'm writing about people I know well. More about this panel in today's learning journal.

No comments:

Post a Comment