Thursday, March 29, 2012

annotated source 03.30: agnes repplier

Repplier, Agnes. “Words.” 1893. Quotidiana. Ed. Patrick Madden. 10 Apr 2007. Web. 30 Mar 2012.


This essay explores the important role of words in writing, and in it Repplier mourns that writers often don't appreciate the power of words. She uses a metaphor I love: "Musicians know the value of chords; painters know the value of colors; writers are so often blind to the value of words." I think this is definitely true--writers often just throw words together without thinking about their specific impact. I can definitely attest to that, and this is why Repplier's argument in this essay is so relevant to me and my project. It's essential for me to continue learning to appreciate the value of words as a writer, and this essay is a helpful reference to help me out with that venture. 
Favorite Repplier quote: "For every sentence that may be penned or spoken the right words exist." 


Boom. 


T

No comments:

Post a Comment