Wednesday, February 8, 2012

annotated source 02.08

Best Food Writing 2011. Ed. Holly Hughes. Philadelphia: Da Capo Press, 2011. Print.

This is another branch-out source, and I'm really excited to read the whole thing (I chose to read a few selected articles for today). As I mentioned before, I am really interested in food and travel writing, but because my project is to write in the style of the classical British essay, I will be working on style more than focusing on either food or travel. BUT, the cool thing about focusing on style is that I will still have freedom to write about whatever I want to, which is where food and travel will come more directly into play. The essays and articles in this book demonstrate a variety of food writing, so it's great to see the many different options that are available in food writing. Quite a few essays in this book dealt with food and family, like the essay "Stollen," wherein the author annotates a recipe for Stollen and in the annotations discusses his family and the memories he associates with the recipe. This could be cool in London, because connecting the food in London to my essay writing will be a fun project. Altogether, I might read one or two of these essays every week to get ideas about incorporating food writing into my project.

And then I will eat. (let me eat cake)

No comments:

Post a Comment