Wednesday, February 15, 2012

learning journal 14: building rapport

Building rapport is something I've thought more and more about lately. As I am in my first year of teaching a freshman writing course here at BYU, I've thought a lot about establishing an authoritative presence in my classroom while allowing for a close, comfortable atmosphere in my classroom where students feel safe to explore and share ideas and opinions. It's hard to strike a balance, because on one hand, I wanted to be friendly and warm but I didn't want my students to question my authority. Last semester, I think I started off too "nice," and had to pay for it later down the road when my students thought they were free to goof off in class and not pay attention because they thought I wasn't going to call them out on it. This semester I've tried to do things differently. I attempted to start off on a very commanding foot, starting the first day with a stern, thorough policy on class policies. I have relaxed since then, but my students saw upfront that I was serious about participation and paying attention in class, and I haven't had too many problems so far. I feel like my students trust me because I have established important policies in a stricter way, while allowing myself to be personable and friendly. Students feel safe in a very structured environment; however, an environment that is too restricting can have the opposite effect. 

As a missionary it was a little different. When I was serving a mission, my companion and I had to create a similar atmosphere of closeness and comfort in lessons with investigators, so they would feel open asking questions and expressing their doubts and concerns. The way to accomplish this, however, was not with a stern, authoritative presence. Yes, it might have worked with some people, but with most of the people we taught, being "cold" was one way to shut down any chance of involvement and trust. Building trust between missionary and investigator often had to do with getting to know them as people, not just as baptisms, and caring about their lives--and showing that care and concern for their well-being. When people sensed that we really cared about them, they were more willing to open up. I guess this isn't too different than teaching in a classroom environment--I have made efforts to get to know my students individually, and that has made a difference as well. 

I'm not sure how I will need to build rapport as a field study student. I won't be interviewing people on a regular basis, and I won't be studying the "living" as much as I will be studying the dead (authors, not zombies). BUT I think it's important to build rapport with people I will interact with on a regular basis. Building rapport with my host family, for example, will allow me to develop a relationship of trust, thus creating a "safer" atmosphere and allowing both me and my host family to feel comfortable around each other. Building rapport with church members will be helpful as well (especially by separating myself from a study abroad student) because I want to have a relationship of trust with the members I'll be working with. 

In other words, it is not just in interviewing and teaching that rapport is necessary, but with relationships in general. Any time you have two people in any sort of relationship, rapport can help bridge the gap and allow people to get to know one another and trust one another. 

No comments:

Post a Comment