Saturday, February 25, 2012

learning journal 02.29: myers-briggs personality test

I followed the lead of Kayla and Ari in writing a learning journal about the Myers-Briggs personality test. I'd taken it before because, let's face it, I'm a little obsessed with personality tests (color code test? I'm a blue/white). But I've never analyzed it or even thought about it in relation to my field study project, or my career path in general. Based on the test, here's what I am: 


ISFJ (Introverted, Sensing, Feeling, Judging)
Here's the breakdown: 

  • distinctively expressed introvert
  • moderately expressed sensing personality
  • moderately expressed feeling personality
  • moderately expressed judging personality
My personality type is called the "protector." Apparently, protectors make up as much as 10% of the population, which is fortunate, according to the website, because their primary interest is the safety and security of those they care about. We care about stability, service to others, and a sense of heritage and tradition. This makes a lot of sense because I do really well in a stable environment where things aren't subject to constant change. I always knew I as introverted; I love to be around people, but I typically enjoy a small gathering of good friends over a large gathering of friends and acquaintances (which is probably why I typically avoid single's ward activities! ha). I am shy, and at first meeting I may come off as cold or stiff (which is exactly what my personality profile says), but according to the website I'm a "warm-hearted and sympathetic" person. I'll take that. Where it gets interesting, though, is what the website says about the typical career choices for protectors. It says they avoid positions of leadership because they don't like to be in the limelight (I can't think of anything more true. In fact, I have a story about that. Yesterday I was in a store trying on clothes, and I had come out of the dressing room to show my friend Paige, and the salesperson came by and stopped in front of the dressing room and started commenting on my outfit and how cute it was--and she wouldn't go away! she just kept talking and it was super awkward because I hate too much attention. it just goes to show that even in small groups, too much attention is super awkward for me.) Anyway, the website also said that protectors often seek careers in education or social service; also, they if they seek technical careers they typically like to be independent in their jobs, like in photography or something. Although it doesn't mention this specifically, my love of writing fits in perfectly with this because I do love the idea of being independent, while still being in a position to contribute to society, and have confidence in my abilities (which I still need to work on). It also makes sense that my profile mentioned that protectors often seek careers in education; I love teaching, and I think a combination of teaching and writing would be the ideal career for me. I mean, I would love to be able to write full time, but teaching is probably a more stable "real" job while I write. Well, at least that's the plan. I plan, but I am also open for change. Whatever comes, writing will be part of it. 

The love of independence lends itself well to a field study program. As far as my specific project goes, studying dead people and writing is a project perfectly designed for an introvert--I know that it doesn't require an introvert, but someone who is perfectly content being alone for periods of time is suited for the job. Rather than overanalyze the whole thing, but it's interesting to think about how my personality lends itself to a field study, as well as lending itself to the career path I've chosen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment