Friday, February 10, 2012

learning journal 12: house rules

Watching the English's "House Rules" chapter was particularly endearing and delightful. When you read about a set of "rules" a certain culture has, it's easy to think of the rules as strange compared to ours. Come to think of it, I don't know that we acknowledge our own "rules" until we compare them to another culture's. So I had a few thoughts about their rules and our rules, how they intersect, and how they diverge.

First of all, the "gnome rule." I thought it was hilarious to think that the inclusion (or exclusion) of a garden gnome could be an indicator of social class. I don't know that I have necessarily seen the equivalent of such a rule that deals specifically with gnomes. The man that Fox talked about in the chapter who had a gnome but pointed out that it was an ironic gnome was an interesting example of someone who is trying very consciously to appear more upper class because of the gnome is his garden, but his pointing out that it was ironic lowered him a notch or two in social status; an upperclass person, as Fox states, wouldn't care about what another person thought about his or her gnome and proudly declare affection for it. The reason I'm summarizing this is because whether or not we think about this here in America, we tend to do the same kinds of things. People who want to appear like they have more money surround themselves with expensive, extravagant things--although most of the time for us, it means multiple boats and bigger and shinier cars than we really need--things that aren't necessarily functional, but are sometimes part of a subconscious need for appearing wealthier than one really is (which is probably why we have debt problems). Here, though, we tend to not have the issue of inherited wealth, so our upper class is typically made up of many "self-made" men and women (stereotypically, of course). So I suppose that we all have an instinct deep down inside to appear better and wealthier than we may be, but it is manifest in different ways here than it is across the pond.

So now I get to the usual question: what does this have to do with my project? As a writer, my job is to be hyper observant of the world around me, searching for items or ideas that want to be essays. I may not have the cultural experience in London to have made these observations for myself, but Fox has given me a lot to think about, and when I am actually in London this book will have made me more aware, giving me an advantage and giving me insight into Londoners and how they function. Writing about people is always easier when I have a little bit of context to help me understand them better. It will be interesting to see if I can observe how these rules have changed since the time of the authors I will be studying. Did they abide by the rule that says "you can't sit in your front garden"? Were they more rebellious, like the counter-culture people who defiantly sit in their front gardens on shabby couches? Who followed the rules and who rebelled against them? These are all questions I would love, somehow, to be able to answer.

By the way, is this such a darling gnome I found online? I almost want to get him and place him in my front yard. Then I will tell people it is an "ironic" gnome.

How very presumptuous of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment