Saturday, February 11, 2012

annotated source 02.13

Hazlitt, William. "Essays by William Hazlitt." Ed. Patrick Madden. Quotidiana. Web. 11 Feb 2012.

William Hazlitt is another essayist that will be part of my repertoire. Hazlitt was one of the "greats"; he and Charles Lamb were buddies; in fact, at one point Lamb was Hazlitt's only friend because Hazlitt had offended all of his other friends. The friendship of Hazlitt and Lamb is one particular detail I'd like to study while I'm in London. I want to get at not only how essayists interacted with London; I want to, wherever possible, find out how essayists interacted with each other. So I want to study Hazlitt not only because he is a canonical essayist, but because he and Lamb will be interesting to study together. One of Hazlitt's essays, "On the Pleasure of Hating," is indicative of not only his style but his crotchety and temperamental behavior which alienated him from others. Hazlitt will be fascinating to study, and he will also be fun to try and imitate once I get to that point.

No comments:

Post a Comment